Re: flat OBJDIR

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: flat OBJDIR
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:20:48 -0400

IMNSHO, this is extremely good advice.  For the most part, you shouldn't care
too much how the object directory structure looks like, anyway.

Noel

Ken Smith wrote:

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 04:38:52PM +0000, Alexander Farber wrote:

Sorry for my previous chaotic mail. I've constructed a simple
test case for my problem and hope that someone will comment:

bolinux72:afarber {555} cat Makefile

OBJDIR = objdir
SRCS = a.cpp \
      src1/b.cpp
OBJS = $(addprefix $(OBJDIR)/, $(notdir $(SRCS:.cpp=.obj)))

Instead of trying to build all the objects into a single directory,
could you replicate the directory structure of your sources in your
object directory?  For example, your object directory could look like
this.

objdir/a.obj
objdir/src1/b.cpp

You would define OBJS like this.

OBJS = $(addprefix $(OBJDIR)/, $(SRCS:.cpp=.obj))

I assume that the object directory is dynamically created or, at least
that you don't have the same directory structure there that you have in
your source directory.  You can overcome this as follows.  The following
is a modified version of your test makefile which implements this
suggestion.

OBJDIR = objdir
OBJSUBDIRS = $(addprefix $(OBJDIR)/,$(dir $(SRCS)))
SRCS = a.cpp \
       src1/b.cpp
OBJS = $(addprefix $(OBJDIR)/,$(SRCS:.cpp=.obj))

all: $(OBJS)

$(OBJDIR) $(OBJSUBDIRS):
        mkdir -p $(@)

$(OBJDIR)/%.obj: %.cpp | $(OBJDIR) $(OBJSUBDIRS)