Re: flat OBJDIR

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: flat OBJDIR
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:06:35 -0400

%% Mike Gibson <address@hidden> writes:

  >> Can't I construct a series of rules by using $(foreach ...) instead?

  mg> Yes, but if you're going to create a lot of rules, parsing the
  mg> makefile can start to take quite a bit of time.  Make seems to be
  mg> optimized for a relatively small number of rules (hundreds), if
  mg> you start to get into thousands and tens of thousands range,
  mg> things start to bog down.

I'd be very interested in any performance metrics you have for this.
Also, have you tested this hypothesis with GNU make 3.80, or only
earlier versions?

In GNU make 3.80 a new hash storage library was integrated, taken from
the GNU id-utils toolkit, which should certainly scale into the
thousands and tens of thousands of entries range, with no trouble at all
(id-utils databases can get _MUCH_ larger than that!)