Re: VPATH/vpath: does it work for -l<libname> prereqs?

From: Matt England
Subject: Re: VPATH/vpath: does it work for -l<libname> prereqs?
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:13:09 -0600

At 11/22/2005 01:09 PM, John Graham-Cumming wrote:
Yes, but there's special handling of this syntax detailed in the GNU Make manual section "Directory Search for Link Libraries" and I quote:
  "When a prerequisite's name has the form `-lNAME', [...]

Yes, I'm familiar with these rules, I've been studying them intently at:
http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_chapter/make_4.html#SEC40
Unfortunately, the system is not behaving as per my interpretation of the above. My interpretation may be faulty, but I'm not sure.

You might like to post a snippet of Makefile so that people here can help you debug.

Yep, I'm working to make a suitably-isolated portion of or entire Makefile so I can pass it to the list, it just takes some work to do this to make it understandable by the group. Stay tuned...if I can't figure it out.

Thanks for passing along the examples. These examples all currently match my understanding.

Now one thing to watch for is if your library is a .a and has the same name as a .so the search order used by GNU Make (see above) will cause the .so to be found and used first. If that's a problem then you can either stop using the -l syntax, or you can fiddle with .LIBPATTERNS so that the search happens in the opposite order.

I do have .a and .so files of same names in my paths (my build procedures produce both), and I'm already setting .LIBPATTERNS as per desired behavior.

...and all this stuff works...IF I keep the lib dur in my current directory tree and/or use only ONE dir path in vpath/VPATH (I need multiple lib dir paths because I have multiple lib directories).

Any known problems vpath/VPATH and multiple lib dirs?

-Matt