Re: VPATH/vpath: does it work for -l<libname> prereqs?

From: Matt England
Subject: Re: VPATH/vpath: does it work for -l<libname> prereqs?
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:35:16 -0600

At 11/24/2005 03:31 AM, John Graham-Cumming wrote:
Maxim Nikulin wrote:
I have got several problems with -l prerequisites too. In the beginning
I thought it's a greet feature, but than I almost threw it away. I'll be
glad to hear that I missed something. The possibility to choose static
or dynamic libraries is rather attractive.

I think the problem you are encountering is primarily that he -llib feature was designed for use with the linker linking against prebuilt libraries and not necessarily for libraries that you are building in the Makefile.

For what it's worth, I can get the "-l<name>" prerequisite to work just fine for both prebuilt and "internal" libraries...so long as I don't use a "./" in the beginning part of the directory path that I give to the vpath directive (see my other "BUG CLAIM" email thread). Coupled with control of the .LIBPATTERNS variable, I find this mechanism to be quite powerful; I have a whole mess of libraries to manage, and -l<name> saves me a lot of work.

I'm not sure if this applies to Maxim's case, but I thought I'd share my discoveries. (Albeit I'm still rather miffed I lost so much time trying to figure out the "vpath ./..." problem.)

-Matt