Re: VPATH/vpath: does it work for -l<libname> prereqs?

From: John Graham-Cumming
Subject: Re: VPATH/vpath: does it work for -l<libname> prereqs?
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:31:48 +0100

Maxim Nikulin wrote:
I have got several problems with -l prerequisites too. In the beginning
I thought it's a greet feature, but than I almost threw it away. I'll be
glad to hear that I missed something. The possibility to choose static
or dynamic libraries is rather attractive.

I think the problem you are encountering is primarily that he -llib feature was designed for use with the linker linking against prebuilt libraries and not necessarily for libraries that you are building in the Makefile.

Specifically this happens in your case 1 (in the current directory) which you can get around by using $(CURDIR):

    bar: -lfoo ; touch $@
    $(CURDIR)/libfoo.so: ; touch $@
    vpath lib%.so $(CURDIR)

John.
--
John Graham-Cumming
address@hidden

Home: http://www.jgc.org/
POPFile: http://getpopfile.org/
GNU Make Standard Library: http://gmsl.sf.net/
Fast, Parallel Builds: http://www.electric-cloud.com/

Sign up for my Spam and Anti-spam Newsletter
at http://www.jgc.org/

PGP key: http://www.jgc.org/pgp/