help-rcs

Any limits on Rcs version numbers?

From: Hal Morris
Subject: Any limits on Rcs version numbers?
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 22:08:52 -0500 (EST)

Are there any limits on rcs version numbers?

I.e. can I do 100 deltas a day for 10 years and it won't break down?

I'm thinking of using rcs in the implementation of an unorthodox sort of
database.  The data will take the form a large Perl structure, which
is output with Data::Dumper and input just by 'do'-ing the output file.
In fact I'm already using something like this, but wondering how far I can
push it.

(You must for sure do this

   $Data::Dumper::Sortkeys = 1;

if you want it to work reasonably well -- otherwise you add an element
to a hash which may cause the hash table to be reallocated, and then
every element gets rearranged randomly).

Please at least cc me on replies; I don't always watch the list closely.

Thanks, and best wishes,  Hal

VISIT EARLY REPUBLIC BOOKS ON THE WEB:  WWW.EARLYREPUBLIC.NET/BOOKS

Hal Morris: address@hidden   --  Editor of:
* H-SHEAR Web pages: http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~shear
* Jacksonian Miscellanies: Free sources & commentary (email for info).
* Tales of the Early Republic web site: http://WWW.EarlyRepublic.net