help-rcs

Re: Any limits on Rcs version numbers?

From: Hal Morris
Subject: Re: Any limits on Rcs version numbers?
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 12:43:59 -0500 (EST)

Thanks

VISIT EARLY REPUBLIC BOOKS ON THE WEB:  WWW.EARLYREPUBLIC.NET/BOOKS

Hal Morris: address@hidden   --  Editor of:
* H-SHEAR Web pages: http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~shear
* Jacksonian Miscellanies: Free sources & commentary (email for info).
* Tales of the Early Republic web site: http://WWW.EarlyRepublic.net

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Aaron S. Hawley wrote:

> Hal,
>
> RCS version numbers are obviously stored and i believe internally
> represented as strings, so any of the usual machine arithmetic limits are
> irrelevant.
>
> did you try this?
>
> touch foo
> ci -i365000000 foo

Good Idea, thanks.

> so revision numbers wouldn't appear to be a problem.  who knows if there
> aren't any other design imposed bug limits in RCS.
>
> these sorts of problems are what the usual database management systems
> (DBMS) are for.

I know.  That's why I called it an unorthodox approach.

Best wishes,   Hal