Debian package issues

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Debian package issues
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:27:20 +0100

Hi Russ, Yvan and Elrond!  You all have had comments on the Debian
packaging of Shishi, so I thought we should try to discuss it here, so
it is easier for everyone to understand what's going on.  (I'm Cc:ing
Russ because I'm not sure you are on the list yet.)

First, the debian files are available from:

https://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=shishi

I can give CVS access to anyone who is interested in helping on the
packages.

Simple instructions on how to build a workable package:

Get a daily build such as:
http://josefsson.org/daily/shishi/shishi-20060321.tar.gz

Then invoking make-gfdl-free-shishi on it to produce a
shishi_0.0.23.tar.gz, then unpack it and enter the shishi-0.0.23
directory, copy the debian/ tree (and remove debian/CVS/) and then
type 'pdebuild'.

Has anyone been able to build the package?

Summarizing the now open issues:

1) Is it ok to include the GFDL manual now?  I have changed the
   license so there are no invariant sections.

2) Currently shisa will use /var/shishi as the user database, which
   seems wrong according to the Debian FHS.  The package should
   probably specify --localestatedir=/var/lib/shishi instead.  How to
   do this?  It seems pdebuild add this parameter itself:

if test ""; then cd ""; else cd "."; fi && CC="cc" CXX="g++" CFLAGS="-g -Wall
-O2" CXXFLAGS="-g -Wall -O2" CPPFLAGS="" /tmp/buildd/shishi-0.0.23/./configure
--build=i486-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --includedir="\${prefix}/include"
--mandir="\${prefix}/share/man" --infodir="\${prefix}/share/info"
--sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --libexecdir="\${prefix}/lib/shishi"
--srcdir=. --disable-maintainer-mode

   Why is it doing that?  I've added

DEB_CONFIGURE_LOCALSTATEDIR := /var/lib/shishi

   But I'm not sure this is the best way or best path.  Thoughts?

3) Shishi 0.0.23 is still not released.  When some of you have
   confirmed that you are able to build the package, and doesn't spot
   any problems, I'll release it and we can produce official Debian
   packages.

I thought there were some other issue too, but I forget now.

Thanks,
Simon