Re: Shishi 0.0.26

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Shishi 0.0.26
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 19:28:59 -0700

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
> Elrond <address@hidden> writes:

>> It's a well known problem for minimum one year.

>> I already ran around "rm /usr/lib/libfoo.la" to get some
>> packages building...

> The FreeBSD people appear to patch packages to not install *.la too,
> which seems like a lot of work... I wonder what the correct upstream
> fix would be.

Basically, doing the same thing that pkg-config does, namely distinguish
between public library dependencies (libraries whose APIs are re-exported
by the shared library providing the .la file) and private library
dependencies where the linking program doesn't need to and shouldn't link
directly with the dependency.  Then when libtool is used, you wouldn't
need to have the -dev packages for private library dependencies.  And as a
bonus, libtool wouldn't introduce spurious dependencies in the binary
packages, which complicate ABI migrations.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>