Re: Shishi/GSS no-symbols-control-file lintian warning

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Shishi/GSS no-symbols-control-file lintian warning
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:17:22 +0100

Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm getting close to upload 0.0.38 packages...  should I upload to
>> experimental so you can review the package more easily, or can you
>> review through the CVS repository and I can upload to unstable?  Unless
>> you want to do the upload, of course.  Alas, the CVS repository doesn't
>> seem to have any tags for the last upload, but you could compare to the
>> version in lenny.
>
> I can review through the CVS repository, sure.  I can also try to add the
> historic tag based on date stamps.

Great!  I am aware of one snafu -- I accidentally removed two ABIs in
the 0.0.38 release, so I'll have to do a 0.0.39 to add them back again.

> Have you thought about moving to Git for the Debian packaging?

Yes, but while I have read many blog posts with notes about maintaining
debian packages in git, I haven't see any single complete walk-through
of what I have to do to make that happen.  It seems there are many
variants; some seems to put the entire tar archives in git which I don't
really understand the advantage in.  Do you have some good links?

There is also the question of where to host the git repository.
Savannah's git system doesn't support multiple git repositories per
project.  Using a branch on the official Shishi source git repository
for debian packaging would be possible, but it seems a bit weird to me.
I have git.josefsson.org running, but my sysadmin cycles are sparse so
I'd prefer to host it somewhere else.

/Simon