Re: Shishi/GSS no-symbols-control-file lintian warning

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Shishi/GSS no-symbols-control-file lintian warning
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:05:29 -0800

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, but while I have read many blog posts with notes about maintaining
> debian packages in git, I haven't see any single complete walk-through
> of what I have to do to make that happen.

I tried to document what I do at:

    http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/debian/git.html

Possibly of interest is that I maintain Debian packaging in the same Git
repository as upstream development for my own packages, and exactly how to
do that is discussed in the document.

> It seems there are many variants; some seems to put the entire tar
> archives in git which I don't really understand the advantage in.  Do
> you have some good links?

Allowing generation of the upstream tarball from Git is excellent because
it makes the Git repository completely stand-alone.  All you need is a
clone of the repository.  You don't need any external data store in order
to build packages.

The best way to do this is via pristine-tar, which stores only the
required extra information to regenerate the exact upstream tarball based
on the tagged upstream branch.  This is a great tool.  The files that it
has to store in the repository are usually only a few KB.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>