Re: shishid: Usage of syslog facilities.

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: shishid: Usage of syslog facilities.
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 10:04:05 -0700

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks -- I have changed shishid to use LOG_AUTHPRIV now (we'll see how
> portable that is compared to LOG_AUTH...).

You should only use LOG_AUTHPRIV for auth logs that have a substantial
risk of recording someone's password.  I'm not sure if this situation
applies.  It's normally used by PAM modules, but not by Kerberos KDCs.

Anyway, every piece of code I've ever seen that uses LOG_AUTHPRIV has in
it something akin to:

#ifndef LOG_AUTHPRIV
# define LOG_AUTHPRIV LOG_AUTH
#endif