Re: shishid: Usage of syslog facilities.

From: Mats Erik Andersson
Subject: Re: shishid: Usage of syslog facilities.
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:36:46 +0200

torsdag den 16 augusti 2012 klockan 22:23 skrev Simon Josefsson detta:
> Mats Erik Andersson <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Anyway, you should provide for LOG_AUTH.
> >
> > BSD systems use two different settings as standard,
> > and the are not using "/var/log/syslog" at all:
>
> Interesting.  The reason I used LOG_AUTHPRIV instead of LOG_AUTH was
> that my syslog manpage (Ubuntu 12.04) says:
>
>        LOG_AUTH       security/authorization    messages    (DEPRECATED    Use
>                       LOG_AUTHPRIV instead)

You are somewhat jumping your conclusions here. Taking further advice
from <sys/syslog.h> on GNU/Linux or BSD will clarify the matter:

     { "security", LOG_AUTH }       /* DEPRECATED */

but

     { "auth",     LOG_AUTH }
     { "authpriv", LOG_AUTHPRIV }

are still recommended. Observe the nomen "security", which is
better avoided since a rather long time.

It is always wonderful to have receptive audience when discussion
interesting notions and knowledge.

Best regards,

  Mats