Re: On non-PIC PAM module for OpenSolaris.

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: On non-PIC PAM module for OpenSolaris.
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 17:42:33 -0700

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> So, is there a standard idiom to turn --with-pic on by default that we
> should use?  Or just document this fact somewhere?

I'm confused about how you have this problem, since by default libtool
uses PIC for all shared objects, and I'm not sure why the PAM module
wouldn't be a shared object.

Oh, I wonder if the problem is just that you're missing -shared in the
pam_shishi_la_LDFLAGS setting.  You have:

pam_shishi_la_LDFLAGS = -module -avoid-version

and my PAM module packages all have:

pam_krb5_la_LDFLAGS = -module -shared -avoid-version $(VERSION_LDFLAGS) \
        $(AM_LDFLAGS)

(for example).

PAM modules should always be shared; static PAM modules really don't make
any sense on nearly all systems.  I've never had a request for one in
years of maintaining PAM modules.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>