Re: On non-PIC PAM module for OpenSolaris.

From: Mats Erik Andersson
Subject: Re: On non-PIC PAM module for OpenSolaris.
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 13:52:22 +0200

fredag den  5 april 2013 klockan 21:47 skrev Mats Erik Andersson detta:
> onsdag den  3 april 2013 klockan 10:32 skrev Simon Josefsson detta:
> >
> > I have added -shared now, it makes sense to me as well.
>
> It does not suffice, I must still use '--with-pic' in order
> to build the module. Without that switch, the CCLD step, i.e.,
> "libtool: compile: ..." aborts with an error. There is no
> helping message inspite of "make V=1".

Solved! Manually inserting only "-DPIC" to LTCOMPILE is
sufficient to get a successful compilation on OpenIndiana.
The reason is that "pam_shishi.c" enforces some erroneous
and non-portable macro trickery on its own.

Based on the following observations

  * PAM_EXTERN exists in Linux-PAM and OpenPAM, not in Sun-PAM.

  * PAM_STATIC is peculiar to Linux-PAM.

  * The header <security/pam_modules.c> should be empowered
    to decide on implementation specific details.

  * Russell Allbery claimed only shared modules to make sense!

I have tested the patch below with successful builds on
Debian Squeeze, FreeBSD 9.1, and OpenIndiana oi_151a7
starting from

  $ ./configure CFLAGS='-Wall -Wextra' --with-libgcrypt

This covers Linux-PAM, OpenPAM, and Sun-PAM. Please audit
the patch for verification that I have not overlooked
some detail.

Best regards,
  Mats E A