help-source-highlight

Re: [Help-source-highlight] adding a language (lilypond)

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [Help-source-highlight] adding a language (lilypond)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:51:21 +0100

On 12/20/2011 09:26 AM, Federico Bruni wrote:
Il 19/12/2011 09:02, Lorenzo Bettini ha scritto:
probably that's something I never thought of since I've always done this:

please, try to run the configure script with this option

--enable-maintainer-mode

(see the --help:

--enable-maintainer-mode enable make rules and dependencies not useful
(and sometimes confusing) to the casual
installer

)

probably this is the reason why 'make install' does not completely
succeed for you...

I tried a clean build using that option.
I noticed this error after running make:

config.status: creating src/Makefile
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/fede/src/src-highlite/build/src'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/fede/src/src-highlite/build/src'
Makefile:1216: *** missing separator. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/fede/src/src-highlite/build/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fede/src/src-highlite/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Find attached build/Makefile, maybe you find what's wrong.

Also, I realized that maybe this edit in Makefile.am is not correct:

javalog.style \ lilypond.style
lang.map outlang.map \

lilypond.style should be placed before \
right?

No: the \ is used to split list of files with new line; so it must NOT be put after the last element of a list

this is the correct syntax

javalog.style lilypond.style \
lang.map outlang.map

Anyway, even if I change Makefile.am I get the same error about a
missing separator:

Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/fede/src/src-highlite/build/src'
Makefile:1216: *** missing separator. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/fede/src/src-highlite/build/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fede/src/src-highlite/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm afraid once the (wrong) Makefile is generated things are kind of spoiled... you'd better off starting a new build, since even if you changed and corrected the Makefile.am you still need the Makefile to regenerate the Makefile... you may want to manually generate the Makefile fixing that wrong line, touch Makefile.am and try to run make again

The installation didn't succeed:

Making install in src
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/fede/src/src-highlite/build/src'
Makefile:1216: *** missing separator. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fede/src/src-highlite/build/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
address@hidden:~/src/src-highlite/build$ which source-highlight
/usr/bin/source-highlight

as above, you need to fix the problem in the Makefile

It used to work when I didn't use the option --enable-maintainer-mode
BTW, I can't really get the meaning of:

--enable-maintainer-mode enable make rules and dependencies not useful
(and sometimes confusing) to the casual installer

enable is a synonim of make here? (in order to avoid word repetition)

it used to work since without --enable-maintainer-mode the Makefiles are not regenerated even if you changed the Makefile.am (sorry, I just remembered this behavior)

please, try to start a new build :)

hope to hear from you soon

cheers
        Lorenzo

ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)
http://www.myspace.com/supertrouperabba
http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengen http://doublecpp.sourceforge.net