[help-texinfo] Re: subversion manual in texinfo

From: reader
Subject: [help-texinfo] Re: subversion manual in texinfo
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:59:04 -0600

address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:

>       docbook2texi ch02-basic-usage.xml
>
> It makes sense that you'd have to run it on the top-level file
> (book.xml, I gather, from Kendall's message), rather than the individual
> chapter files.

I guess it might if you already know your way around both formats.  I
didn't see anything in the documentation I looked at that made it
obvious.

If I wanted to translate a chapter of the French version of Trotsky's
History of the Russian Revolution I wouldn't immediately think I
needed to start at the preface or first chapter.

> What's troublesome is the "nesting too deep" error.  Do you get that
> too?  Maybe you or Kendall could report that to the maintainers?  Sounds
> like something that can be overcome ...

I haven't even gotten that far.  The makefile in the mess offered at
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/trac/browser/tags/en-1.4-final/src/en/book/

Knows nothing about generating version.xml that kendall spoke of.  The
book is not in the tar.bz2 of subversion, and apparently there isn't a
package of just the book in some common setup where one might run
 make version

Putting the book directory into toplevel/doc/book
(Where the tools directory is also located)
Is what I'm messing with now.  If I get it figured out how one is
expected to work with this stuff I may eventually have something
worthwhile to report.  However its not really very likely because I am
a complete novice in nearly all elements of this.

If I try to follow the HOWTO.docbook provided in the doc directory I
will have to find and hand compile every library since the creation of
the universe, so that looks like a non-starter.

For now I'm still not getting how to accomplish the most basics stuff.

I see you've asked Noah to join in and I'm trying to follow along with
his suggestions.