help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] DVD-R?

From: Herbert Valerio Riedel
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] DVD-R?
Date: 27 Nov 2001 14:21:09 +0100

On Tue, 2001-11-27 at 01:14, Jorgensen, Jens wrote:
> Hey, it looks like DVD-R drives are getting affordable. So now I'm
> wondering: could we just put a huge SVCD image on a DVD-R? This would be
> nice since I can only get 30 minutes of video onto a CD-R. Has anyone
> tried this?
it may work but I'm not sure, whether mode 2 CD-ROM sectors are allowed
on DVD's

> Also, how hard is it to make a DVD? Is it worse than SVCD? I wouldn't
> always want to go to that high of resolution but I guess it'd be cool.
speaking of DVD-V (and DVD-V on CDR, aka c(d)DVD or miniDVD);
I've got some notes lying around here I made for a dvdimager component
(and in addition to that, there's quite some information one can extract
from the various dvd players around...):

DVD's are quite different from SVCD's as they usually consist of
an UDF (and optional an ISO9660 bridged) filesystem which just points to
the data, which is stored in a more or less linear continous area;
this makes it possible, to separate the task into an DVD-V authoring
tool, which spits out the VIDEO_TS* files; and an UDF/ISO9660 formatter,
which takes this files and puts them in the right order into an burnable
image (or just pipe it right-away into cdrecord)

well... I don't know when I'm gonna start to really implement this
beast; but if there's anyone interested... just contact me; I could need
some help with this project, as I'm suffering from lack of time, and
it's more realistic to get the dvdimager idea realisted as a group than
as a single developer...

ps: it seems the submux tool in the contrib dir for making real SVCD OGT
subtitles (as opposed to CVD-style subtitles we all know) is finally
becoming more popular... as it enables more devices to show subtitles
:-)

regards,
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: address@hidden       /    Finger address@hidden for GnuPG Public Key