help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] SVCDs not being created correctly

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] SVCDs not being created correctly
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 02:23:14 -0600 (CST)

> > I'm suffering this problem now I think. All the vcd images I make play
> > fine with Xine or MPlayer but if I burn them to disc they won't play on my
> > DVD player, in Xine, or MPlayer. They're all scrambled. Did you ever
> > figure out the problem? I've tried standard VCD2 and SVCD and neither
> > works for me. As far as I can tell everything is to the standard. Any
> > help? Thanks.
>
> One thing I noticed is that vcdimager will not complain if you feed it
> an mpeg2 and ask it to create a vcd2.0 image.  It doesn't convert the
> mpeg down to mpeg1 so it actually make a vcd image that isn't
> technically to spec.  My DVD player doesn't mind and plays the mpeg2
> stream just fine.

I'm not sure. Is there an easy way to tell? I tell transcode to produce
mpeg 1 video and audio and then tell tcmplex to make a vcd-compat mpeg
file and finally tell vcdimager to make a vcd2 image. I've tried padding
the mpeg, as sometimes that has helped in the past, but it made no
difference this time. I tried everything I could think of and everything
I've been able to find online (like forcing aspect ratio) and it does the
same thing each time.

> Can your DVD player play SVCD?

I think so. Also I'd think MPlayer should be able to.