help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] SVCDs not being created correctly

From: Greg Rowe
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] SVCDs not being created correctly
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 08:52:07 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Michael wrote:

> > One thing I noticed is that vcdimager will not complain if you feed it
> > an mpeg2 and ask it to create a vcd2.0 image.  It doesn't convert the
> > mpeg down to mpeg1 so it actually make a vcd image that isn't
> > technically to spec.  My DVD player doesn't mind and plays the mpeg2
> > stream just fine.
>
> I'm not sure. Is there an easy way to tell? I tell transcode to produce
> mpeg 1 video and audio and then tell tcmplex to make a vcd-compat mpeg
> file and finally tell vcdimager to make a vcd2 image. I've tried padding
> the mpeg, as sometimes that has helped in the past, but it made no
> difference this time. I tried everything I could think of and everything
> I've been able to find online (like forcing aspect ratio) and it does the
> same thing each time.

If you tell transcode to make mpeg1 then it probably is.  I think
vcdimager gives some info to the stream type when you encode the image
(if you have verbose output on).  I wish "file" would tell the
difference between mpeg 1 and 2.

> > Can your DVD player play SVCD?
>
> I think so. Also I'd think MPlayer should be able to.

Yes mplayer should be able to.  If you said that in your previous post
I apologize for misreading it.

Unfortunately I think I am out of ideas :(  When you find a solution
please post back to the list as I am very interested in your results.

Thanks,
Greg

--
"You are the daemon that answers our http requests for knowledge...the
domain name server that translates the cryptic into the credible..."