http-emacs-dev

[Http-emacs-dev] Re: Problems with http-emacs CVS sources line endings

From: Adrian Aichner
Subject: [Http-emacs-dev] Re: Problems with http-emacs CVS sources line endings
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:35:12 +0200

David Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:59:56 +0200 Adrian Aichner wrote:
>
>> http-emacs sources seem to be checked in with CRLF line endings.
>>
>> Is this intentional?
>
> I'm not sure.  I can only guess that it might have
> something to do with the "\r\n" in http headers  but i
> don't think its needed anymore.

Hi David, I don't think that's the reason.

Looks like however set up the repository imported most files with CRLF
line endings.

Hi deego, pgas, do you agree that http-emacs CVS repository should not
contains sources with CRLF line endings?

I'd suggest finxing the ,v files in the repository directly.

>> Also
>> cvs -f -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/http-emacs get -p
>> http-emacs/CONTRIBUTORS
>> does not produce CRLF line endings.
>>
>> Please advise,
>
> What exactly is the problem?  Emacs can handle DOS files
> and diff doesn't care at all about it.

Oh, yes, diff cares about every byte and it better!

My XEmacs can also handle UNIX (LF), DOS (CRLF), and MAC (CR) line
endings, but I don't think multi-platform source repositories should
use CRLF line endings.

David, how do you create your patches?

What switches to
cvs diff
are you using when you generate your patches?

Try
cvs diff file-name
on any file with a small local change.

Does that work as expected for you?