human-beings-discuss

Re: [Human-beings-discuss] naval units or not?

From: dams
Subject: Re: [Human-beings-discuss] naval units or not?
Date: 19 Apr 2002 14:02:00 +0200

Guillaume Cottenceau <address@hidden> writes:

> In StarCraft, there is no naval units (nor in Dune2) though there
> were some in WarCraft. There are some in Civilization.
>
> But no one ever complained about this miss in StarCraft, so I'm
> wondering if they are really useful.

because you could do he same things with aircraft than with the naval units in
warcraft.

> We can say that it depends on the size of the map, and because it
> would probably be between StarCraft (a suburb) and Civilization
> (a continent), e.g. approximately a valley or a small region, so
> for this kind of size having oceans is maybe not a good idea.
>
> Thoughts?

I think naval and aircraft units brings more complexity, it can be fun, but
it's not necessary.

But if you want realistic energy, you may want to put rivers so that you can
drain energy from it, and therefore you need naval units