hydra-users

Re: Removed, or missing, protocols file.

From: Mats Erik Andersson
Subject: Re: Removed, or missing, protocols file.
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 16:36:27 +0200

Thursday den  2 April 2015 klockan 17:14 skrev Eelco Dolstra detta:
> Hi,
>
> On 02/04/15 16:15, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
>
> > in the recent commit 4aa8225 to your 'inetutils/release.nix'
> > the assignment
> >
> >    __noChroot = true
> >
> > was removed. With large probability you are breaking the
> > test suite that GNU Inetutils needs to run at your build step.
>
> I don't think I have commit access to the hydra-recipes repository, but this
> problem can be fixed by adding the line:
>
>   __impureHostDeps = [ "/etc/protocols" ];
>
> where __noChroot used to be. This will import /etc/protocols (and nothing
> else)
> into the chroot.

Thinking closer about this issue reveals more facts:

  * The building of GNU Inetutils by Hydra fails as soon as tests
    of built executables are incorporated.

  * The only test observed to fail is that of 'inetd', due to an
    incomplete chroot.

  * Inetd is needing access to system entities to achieve its duty
    of starting subprocessess and suitable network listeners.

  * The potentially critical library calls are:

    getprotobyname(3), getaddrinfo(3), getpwnam(3), getgrnam(3).

  * The corresponding entity files are

      /etc/services    (not needed in presently used test script)
      /etc/protocols   (needed for "tcp" in present script)
      /etc/passwd      (needed for build process owner "nixbld")
      /etc/group       (not used by present script)
      /etc/pwd.db      (used by BSD systems in place of /etc/passwd)

Conclusion:

  A build service at Hydra with testing of GNU Inetutils for any
  target GNU/Linux must include two files in a chrooted environment:

      /etc/protocols
      /etc/passwd      (naming  at least "nixbld")

  Preferably also the files

      /etc/services
      /etc/group

  should be included, since they are likely to be relevant for
  testing of other source packages.

Best regards,
  Mats Erik Andersson, on behalf of GNU Inetutils