Re: [igraph] Working with large networks and how to sample from a graph?

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Working with large networks and how to sample from a graph?
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 09:37:26 -0400

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Peter Flom
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks Tamas
>
> That brings up a suggestion - in the next version of the manual it would be
> nice to see, for each measure, a rough idea of running time. Obviously, this
> couldn't be precise as it depends on the machine running the code and
> probably on lots of other things, but something indicating that betweenness
> centrality running time is proportional to links*nodes, whereas degree seems
> to be linear in nodes (from what I can tell) and similar for other measures.

You are right, this should be in the manual. It is included in the C
manual for most functions:
http://igraph.sourceforge.net/doc/html/index.html
and the R running time complexity is almost always the same.
Betweenness is O(nm), the number of nodes times the number of edges:
http://igraph.sourceforge.net/doc/html/igraph_betweenness.html

Gabor