Re: [igraph] Fastgreedy Algorithm for Community Detection in igraph for

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Fastgreedy Algorithm for Community Detection in igraph for RStudio - fatal error.
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:44:39 +0100

Hi,

> Is it possible, that I have a newer version of igraph or RStudio, which is
> not compatible with the fastgreedy alg.? What can I do?
I strongly suspect that the problem lies in RStudio itself because all the
community detection algorithms work perfectly fine for me if I use them from
the command line version of R. But just to make sure, please send me the small
network that you managed to crash RStudio with and I'll check on my machine.

> Then I have a second question: I’m also using the Optimal Modularity
> Algorithm. But it needs a lot of time to compute (I started it 24 hours ago
> and it’s still computing). Is there a possibility to make it faster?
No, the optimal modularity algorithm is pretty much unusable for larger graphs
(more than 40-50 nodes I guess). This is because it uses integer programming in
the background and solving a general integer programming problem has
exponential time complexity. On the other hand, if the algorithm finishes, it
will give you the global optimum (unlike other community detection algorithms
which usually do not have any performance guarantees).