[igraph] Fastgreedy Algorithm for Community Detection in igraph for RStu

From: Stefanie Camenisch
Subject: [igraph] Fastgreedy Algorithm for Community Detection in igraph for RStudio - fatal error.
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 10:40:20 +0100

Hi,

I’m testing 8 algorithms for community detection, among others the fastgreedy algorithm. I do this in igraph for RStudio. But when I try to implement the fastgreedy R always crashes, showing the following message:

"R Session aborted! R encountered a fatal error. The session was terminated".

First I thought, that the whole calculation needs too much computational power. But now I’ve tested the algorithm with a very small network as well. And R crashed again. So my question:

Is it possible, that I have a newer version of igraph or RStudio, which is not compatible with the fastgreedy alg.? What can I do?

By the way: I use an adjacency matrix, which I transformed into a graph object. I tried it with weighted/undirected as well as undirected/unweighted graphs. Additionally I took connected and unconnected graph versions.

Then I have a second question: I’m also using the Optimal Modularity Algorithm. But it needs a lot of time to compute (I started it 24 hours ago and it’s still computing). Is there a possibility to make it faster? Here I use undirected/unweighted/connected and undirected/unweighted/unconnected adjancency matrix.

Thank you very much for your answers!