[igraph] About the cannoical place for igraph

From: Pierre-Yves Chibon
Subject: [igraph] About the cannoical place for igraph
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 15:41:00 +0100

Hi all,

I have taken over the maintaince of the igraph and python-igraph packages in
Fedora a while ago but I only now find time to look into it and look into
updating them.

The current versions available are rather old now: 0.5.4 for both igraph and
python-igraph.

My first problem has been to find the canonical place of igraph, so far I have
found:

- http://igraph.sourceforge.net/
  - latest version 0.6.5 in February 2013
  - sources look like a R module, which I managed to compile as such using
    `R CMD INSTALL`
  - however, most of the code under src/ seems to not install (the headers files
    for example)

- https://code.google.com/p/igraph/
  - No information on the project page as to if the project is still hosted
    there or if it has moved
  - The download tab gives a list of nightly builds
  - The sources tab refers to launchpad
  - No real idea of the latest version

- https://launchpad.net/igraph
  - Clearly says the project has moved to github
  - Mentions a 0.6.5 release in March 2013
  - Latest commits on the sources seems to be from last month
  - The download link refers to sourceforge

- https://github.com/igraph/igraph
  - Lastest commits are from October 2013
  - Annouces 7 releases (tags) of which the latest (stable) seems to 0.6.6
  - Sources seems to contain parts of all of other projects and bundles them
    - see nexus folder
    - see src/lapack
    - see src/plfit which looks like a bundle of
https://github.com/ntamas/plfit/
    - see msvc/include/libxml
      - files in this folder seems to not mention any license
    - msvc/iconv.h seems to come from the `GNU LIBICONV Library`
    - optional/glpk is licensed GPLv3+ while igraph itself is licensed GPLv2+
    - the interfaces/python setup.py has a 0.6.6 release which is absent from
      pypi https://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-igraph
  - If I download the 0.6.5 release from github I get a completely different
    tarball than from sourceforge or cran

- http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/igraph/index.html
  - latest version 0.6.6
  - mentions igraph.sourceforget.net as website but as mentionned above that
    website is at 0.6.5

- Browsing the archives of this mailing list, I saw an igraph.org website
  mentionned, but it returns me a 404 page

So to be honest, I am a little lost. What is the canonical source for igraph
development?
Which one should I use for updating the Fedora packages?
And how should I compile these sources? The python binding is looking for
<igraph_datatype.h> which is present in the sources of the R package (cran,
sourceforge) but is not installed by `R CMD BUILD`.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Best regards,
Pierre