Re: [igraph] Leading eigenvector for directed graphs

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Leading eigenvector for directed graphs
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 21:34:06 +0200

Hi,

> Has it been implemented yet this algorithm for directed paths?
No, mostly because there are several possible extensions of the modularity
measure (that the leading eigenvector method tries to optimize) for directed
graphs, and there is no consensus yet on which possible extension is the "best"
and how the leading eigenvector method could be adapted for the "best" directed
modularity measure.

> I have a directed weighted network of 62 nodes and 130 arcs, and can't made
> up my mind yet of what to use. The leading eigenvector seems nice, but
> can't find how to actually run it.
If you are looking for an algorithm that uses some kind of a modularity
measure, this seems to be a neat one:

http://stat.kaist.ac.kr/papers/2010_LinkRank.pdf
(no implementation in igraph, although the authors might have published one)

Otherwise, I would suggest the excellent InfoMap algorithm (see
http://www.mapequation.org), which is not only implemented in igraph but it
also has a theoretical foundation that handles directed links naturally.

All the best,