Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Filter: Implemented

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Filter: Implemented
Date: 01 Apr 2002 20:57:14 -0700

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 10:44, Markus Nentwig wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> now the filter is implemented. I have put a tar file with the
> implementation on sourceforge for discussion (+backup...):
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/millisampler/Filterimplementation_tar.bz2
> Have a look at it, I'm happy about any any comments.
> I have tested it using a high-Q 440 Hz setting and the key A3, it works
> just fine (and it's rather obvious that pianos sound darker with the
> filter).
>
> I can merge the code into an up-to-date file version some day.
>
> Regards
>
> Markus
>
> PS:I'll be offline for a day or two.

I gave it a try, but didn't really like the result :( Seems like the
filter effect that is currently in iiwusynth sounds closer to what would
be heard on SB hardware, but I haven't compared them directly. It did
cause a bunch of cool radio tuning feedback sounds when upping the Q
though :) There is just not right with the parameters perhaps? I tested
some instruments in the Vintage Dreams sound font (what I do a lot of
testing with). Some of them don't sound right at all. Seems like you
have a pretty good grasp on the math behind it though, so I'm sure its
just something wrong with your parameters or ?? Its nice to see that
there is some work being done with the filter though. I like the sound
and all, but it seems a bit unstable (have you figured out anything with
this Peter?) Cheers!
        Josh Green

BTW I just checked in some new changes to libsoundfont and Swami. The
sample viewer is now working again and I changed libsoundfont's sample
management to keep track of multiple storage methods for the same sample
data (a sound font file and RAM for instance).