[iiwusynth-devel] Filter: Implemented, fixed

From: Christian Nentwig
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Filter: Implemented, fixed
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:17:54 +0200

Hello,

found it. I hadn't tested sounds, which change the filter frequency over
time: recalculating the filter coefficients produced some
'zipper'-noise. But please let me know, if it still misbehaves.

The updated version is again at
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/millisampler/Filterimplementation_tar.bz2
.
There is also a sound font test file, which sweeps the filter to the
limit.
Patch 00: Slow filter sweep
Patch 01: Fast filter sweep
Patch 02: Very fast filter sweep ('typewriter-sound')

Speaking of it, there is something odd about the fcenter-information
that is produced by iiwusynth: A linear sweep (cents per second) should
reduce the frequency on a logarithmic scale. But the frequency change
seems to be linear (it reaches 0, that's impossible when sweeping on a
logarithmic scale).

Currently the filter coefficient calculation happens every IIWU_BUFSIZE
(64) samples once for each voice, and it includes a sin(x) and cos(x).
Has anybody an opinion on how CPU-intensive those are? Does it make
sense in the days of FPUs everywhere to use lookup tables?

Regards

Markus

PS: Nice sound font. My current favourite: El-Cheapo Organ :-)