Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Filter: Implemented, fixed

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Filter: Implemented, fixed
Date: 04 Apr 2002 13:39:45 -0700

On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 02:21, Peter Hanappe wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 00:08, Josh Green wrote:
>
> There was an error in the conversion of the center ferquency (my fault).
> It's fixed in the CVS version. The filter still causes some clicks
> sometimes but much less.

Yes, it sounds real good now :) Nice work guys! There are still a few
problem instruments in the Vintage dreams font (64 - Twips Ring, 65 -
Wah, 72 - Undulating Pad, 74 - Warble Pad, 75 - Yazoo Blips, 77 - Acid
Sub Bass, 78 - Echo Pop Bass, 79 - Acid Bass 2, 98 - Thunder, 113
Warble, 125 - Gated Screamer). If you want some instruments to test for
problems, those are what I found (a few others too). Mainly scratching
and hi pitch static sounds having to do with filter. Filter seems to be
overall much more stable now though :)

> Anyway, I started profiling things a bit already. It'll be a fun job to
> find the bottlenecks and try to optimize them.

I wonder if MMX or 3Dnow stuff could be done? MMX is just
multi-instruction integer stuff right? What about 3Dnow? Hmmm.. Would be
cool to do some assembler again, I've done very little since my DOS
days.

> I'll try to check out swami today.

I can't really think how I would test iiwusynth without it. Its nice for
setting parameters and the like and listening to the changes. Works good
as an instrument navigator too. You can listen to the sound of
Instruments and Samples as well. Still don't know if anyone else has
actually tried it yet or not :(

> I'm making progress with the chorus effect. I ripped it out of sox. I'm
> tested it yesterday but it doesn't sound that good. Do any of you
> actually use the chorus effect? I never liked it myself.

I like the Chorus effect. It adds a nice fullness to sounds that are
simple and flat. Speaking of which, is the Reverb effect working in
iiwusynth? Within Swami I have not gotten it to work, is there something
I need to do to enable it? I'm using the default IIWU settings (with
some modifications).

> This brings me to another question. It would be nice if iiwusynth was
> shipped with a default soundfont so that users always hear something
> even if they didn't download a soundfont yet. It would be best to have a
> GM soundfont so you can play the standard midi files you find on the
> web. In that case iiwusynth could become a XMMS plugin. However, all the
> GM soundfonts I tested were in general both huge in size and bad in
> quality. Do you know of any that are acceptable and freely
> distributable? We could use the patches that come with timidity.

Hmmm. I can't think of any off hand. I also don't really like any of the
GM fonts I have heard. But then again I don't really like the standard
MIDI set. Perhaps Hammersound would have something that is freely
usable, good quality and compact.

Lates..
        Josh Green