info-gne

Re: [Info-gnupedia]my 1st translation for gnupedia

From: Heiko Andresen
Subject: Re: [Info-gnupedia]my 1st translation for gnupedia
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:53:55 +0100

> Hello Heiko and everyone!

Hi Oleg,

> Heiko Andresen wrote:
>
> > I did my first translation for the Gnupedia project:
> >
> > Under http://www.geocities.com/heiko.andresen/Gnupedia/Esperanto.html is
> the german translation of Oleg's article about Esperanto available. More
> to come ...
>
> Well, thank you, Heiko. Though I'd prefer if someone first contacted
> _me_ before doing the translation of my articles. Ever heard of
> netiquette? Lately I've got a couple of messages from people who think
> that GNU means "absolutely free" and "copycat open". Well, it's not!
> <surprise, surprise!>

First of all, it was never my intention to break any netiquette, law, copyright
or -left, or anyones right - I just wanted to help as I saw the mail (sorry, I
can't refer on the author or date as I already deleted it) of the poor result
of 4 (!) articles in GNUPedia.

Second, I will offer my help and I'm willing to continue to translate from a
language I speak (English, Portuguese) to my native language. If there are
people who don't like my work I leave the project - no problem, there's enough
work in the world.

> There's a civil manner of offering translation services... And the very
> first step is: _CONTACT THE AUTHOR!_ There's more than this, like:
> consult with the author of the original article, verify your translation
> with the author, keep all the credits and so on, but now we talk about
> the basics here. Ask the author's permission before you're going to
> alter the text, and try to get his opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not
> being rude. I'm sure I'd _LOVE_ your translation... if you made it in
> the civil manner (see above).

Third, you're right that it's a civil manner to contact the author before
publishing a translated article - blame on me, but from my point of view I went
the right way, because I anounced it only to the mailinglist with the awareness
you'll read it. As I cannot know if you speak german I didn't think it were up
to you who can check the correctness of my translation. I didn't see the
necessity to do so because it should be the community who should control the
correctness.

> For example, one kind lady - Astrid Schmitt - contacted me and offered
> her help with translating my articles into German. After we negotiated
> all the changes that we'd have to make in the German version, the work
> began. She made a great translation of my humble attempts to write the
> encyclopedia's articles, and I'm _very_ grateful for her time and
> efforts! Very soon these articles will be put online, I'll let you all
> know.

Of course that's the better way, but to complete the workflow there should be a
short message "... I'm working on it ..." that I was missing (this morning I
double-checked my mail before I started the translation). I think the
entry-system should provide such a way of coordination in the future.

> Meanwhile, if anyone's willing to make translations of "Esperanto"
> and "Zamenhof L. L" articles into languages other than German, please
> contact me. I'm sure this work will be a fruitful one! ;)
>

> Heiko, I think you may keep this version, but the only approved by the
> author German versions of the articles are those written by Astrid.
> Everyone's free to copy and distribute my articles in English and
> authorised translated versions.

Oleg, I'm not fixed on my version. If Astrid made a better job -
congratulations and my files go to /dev/null

> I'm not challenging the principles of GNU license, I just want the
> process of creating new encyclopedia be enjoyable and beneficial for
> all. That means we have to make it with reciprocal respect and with
> civil manners. After all, we _don't_have_ to be polite in real- or
> cyber-life, but it works the best when we are! ;)

I absolutely agree. We're in the beginning of a great project with just a few
clearly defined/developed rules and mechanisms - we all have to learn.

> The best regards!
>
> Oleg

Heiko

TopMail - Jetzt kostenlos anmelden - http://www.topmail.de
**  PrimusMedia - Der Medienshop für Bücher, Software,   **
*Spiele, Videos und DVDs - Alles wird portofrei geliefert!*
**      Tolle Happy Hour Angebote bei PrimusMedia        **
--- http://www.buecherwurm.de/index.html?DD=1009&DP=179 ---