Re: Supercite, citation styles, and netiquette

From: Neil Woods
Subject: Re: Supercite, citation styles, and netiquette
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:19:05 +0100

On Thu, Oct 07 2004, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 05:16:08 +0100, Neil wrote:
>
>> So I have started to use trivial-cite. However, I would still like
>> to use supercite for some mailing lists (and maybe in *emacs* NG's.)
>
> You know that SuperCite can do the ">"-style as well, right? I set
> these variables to get the quotation style you see in this article:
>
> (setq sc-citation-leader "")
> (setq sc-nested-citation-p t)
>
> Perhaps you can set those via topic/group-parameters, or
> posting-styles to achieve what you want?

Thanks. Yes, they were the variables I was looking for. However, this
still gives me the default

attribution line. What I would like is something like the attribution
line I use now, in cases where sc-nested-citation-p is t. (The defaults
are fine otherwise.)

Perhaps I need to create another reference header rewrite function and
add it to sc-rewrite-header-list, changing the sc-preferred-header-style
to point to this function in the list. But I'm not entirely clear on how
to do this. Or is there a better way?

>> I'd also appreciate any comments regarding the netiquette issues.
>
> Back in the day I had so many complaints about using the "Name>"-style
> that I decided just to go with what everybody else uses (and can
> produce/parse) and do the normal ">"-thing. By now I think it's easier
> to read.

I used to use SuperCite all the time, back when I was using VM (around
1993-95 I think.) It's usage was quite common back then, as I recall.
However, I agree. Where the two citing styles are mixed, the flow of
conversation is often difficult to follow.

Thanks again.
--
Neil