Re: Supercite, citation styles, and netiquette

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: Supercite, citation styles, and netiquette
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:38:34 +0200

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 05:16:08 +0100, Neil wrote:

> etc. However, it's usage seems not to be considered good netiquette
> in certain groups outside the *emacs* newsgroups. And I understand
> its usage not to be exactly (Son-of-)RFC1036 and/or USEFOR
> compliant.

> So I have started to use trivial-cite. However, I would still like
> to use supercite for some mailing lists (and maybe in *emacs* NG's.)

You know that SuperCite can do the ">"-style as well, right? I set
these variables to get the quotation style you see in this article:

 (setq sc-citation-leader "")
 (setq sc-nested-citation-p t)

Perhaps you can set those via topic/group-parameters, or
posting-styles to achieve what you want?

> I'd also appreciate any comments regarding the netiquette issues.

Back in the day I had so many complaints about using the "Name>"-style
that I decided just to go with what everybody else uses (and can
produce/parse) and do the normal ">"-thing. By now I think it's easier
to read.

  Best regards,

--
 "KOMPRESSOR crush american burger"                           Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk