Re: gmail from gnus

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: gmail from gnus
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:04:01 +0000

On 21 Nov 2006, raherh@gmail.com wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>>> I understood if I use GnuTLS then starttls-program is not used but
>>> GnuTLS program gnu-cli in starttls-use-gnutls function. Should I set
>>> starttls-program?
>>
>> This is probably the problem.  I use starttls:
>>
>> starttls (starttls) 0.10
>> Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>
>> and it works for me.  Maybe someone that uses GnuTLS can help you?
>
> Actually I don't mind what to use. What should I change to start
> communicate with gmail via starttls instead of gnutls-cli?

1) Install starttls and set the location in starttls-program

2) Set starttls-use-gnutls to nil (should be automatic after (1))

> They're this way.
>
> starttls-gnutls-program   gnutls-cli
> stgarttls-program         starttls
> starttls-use-gnutls       t
>
> I'm afraid gnutls won't work with emacs and on windows, at least from
> the Message-ID: <87mz8t455l.fsf@latte.josefsson.org> thread on
> gmane.network.gnutls.general.

OK, I don't know GnuTLS so I can't help you with that.

if (executable-find starttls-program) returns nil AFTER you've done
(1) above, the installation didn't work or you've set the
starttls-program variable to the wrong thing.  A common problem on
Windows is that the '\' character in paths needs to be escaped, but
you can usually use '/' instead.

good luck
Ted