Re: emacs, Gnus, sendmail ?

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: emacs, Gnus, sendmail ?
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 09:39:55 -0400

news@absamail.co.za writes:

> I'm logged in as root [since I need freedom to setup the various
> parameters], but I've got no /root/.gnus.el file; so I created one
> containing the recommended:
>    '(setq gnus....'(nntp " ....").
> But still I only see the 'can't contect to server' error.

You don't need to set up anything for Emacs as root.  You absolutely
have to set stuff up for Emacs as a user (all the configurations are
read from your home directory).  Besides the security issues (i.e.,
you might delete your entire filesystem), nothing will work if you set
it up as root (as you've discovered).

> Also emacs apparently uses sendmail to send mail.

It only uses sendmail if you've set up sendmail (the Unix program).
Otherwise it uses sendmail.el (`slocate sendmail.el`)

> But the 'return-path/from' fields are not configured.
> And sendmail.cf is a 57K monster !

You're talking about sendmail the system program; Emacs has its own
sendmail functions (see above).

> How is THIS problem to be fixed ?

Configure -> play around -> configure -> play around -> configure ->
testing (this used to be called playing around but now you've found a
systematic way to do it)

Or, the alternative:

configure -> play around -> throw hands up -> configure -> lose
mail -> configure -> throw hands way up -> lose more mail -> use Thunderbird.

> And what fascinates me, is that after all the labour invested,
> the bleeding-edge-boys say  "you must keep updated".

Well, don't pay attention to the bleeding edge boys -- they have time
to play around and lose data.  Emacs 22.1 is out now and it's plenty
updated -- it's friggin' fantastic -- and it's so damn stable that
things work now that never worked before in previously "stable"
versions (like AucTeX suddenly does whatever I ask, weird ;))

> I.e install the latest version and re-do all the re-configuration ?!

Besides that you DON'T lose your configuration if you do it as a user:
it's all saved as .files (e.g., .emacs, .gnus, .vm, .your-face,
.gtkrc-2.0).  I upgraded first from XEmacs 21.4.19 to Emacs 21.4
(believe me, that WAS an upgrade) and then from Emacs 21.4 to Emacs
22.1 and in the second upgrade, I only had to fix three pieces of
.emacs.  On top of that I decided that now I like the scrollbars,
toolbars and menubar, since they're GTK.  This is not the bleeding
edge: it's pretty damn stable.

> Any advice on how to fix-it appreciated.

My advice: I know you're frustrated, but you will be better off for
your frustration if you read the manuals, get into Emacs lisp (how the
program really works) and HUMBLY ask for help, instead of trying to
piss off the people who can help you.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson