emacs, Gnus, sendmail ?

From: news
Subject: emacs, Gnus, sendmail ?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 22:35:53 -0500

Re. Gnus, I read in the FAQ:-----  extract ------
   I  just installed Gnus, started it via M-x gnus but it only says "nntp
   (news) open error", what to do?

   You've  got  to  tell  Gnus  where  to  fetch  the news from. Read the
   documentation for information on how to do this. As a first start, put
   those lines in ~/.gnus.el:
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.yourprovider.net"))
(setq user-mail-address "you@yourprovider.net")
(setq user-full-name "Your Name")
------------ end of extract-----

I'm logged in as root [since I need freedom to setup the various
parameters], but I've got no /root/.gnus.el file; so I created one
containing the recommended:
   '(setq gnus....'(nntp " ....").
But still I only see the 'can't contect to server' error.

Also emacs apparently uses sendmail to send mail.
But the 'return-path/from' fields are not configured.
And sendmail.cf is a 57K monster !
How is THIS problem to be fixed ?

And what fascinates me, is that after all the labour invested,
the bleeding-edge-boys say  "you must keep updated".
I.e install the latest version and re-do all the re-configuration ?!

Any advice on how to fix-it appreciated.

== Chris Glur.