Re: emacs, Gnus, sendmail ?

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: emacs, Gnus, sendmail ?
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 08:56:01 -0400

news@absamail.co.za writes:

> Re. Gnus, I read in the FAQ:-----  extract ------
>    I  just installed Gnus, started it via M-x gnus but it only says "nntp
>    (news) open error", what to do?
>
>    You've  got  to  tell  Gnus  where  to  fetch  the news from. Read the
>    documentation for information on how to do this. As a first start, put
>    those lines in ~/.gnus.el:
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.yourprovider.net"))
> (setq user-mail-address "you@yourprovider.net")
> (setq user-full-name "Your Name")
> ------------ end of extract-----
>
> I'm logged in as root [since I need freedom to setup the various
> parameters], but I've got no /root/.gnus.el file; so I created one
> containing the recommended:
>    '(setq gnus....'(nntp " ....").
> But still I only see the 'can't contect to server' error.

>From my ~/.gnus:

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "news"))
(setq nntp-authinfo-user "username@servername"
      nntp-authinfo-password "xxxxx"
      gnus-nntp-server "newsgroups.servername")
(add-hook 'nntp-server-opened-hook 'nntp-send-authinfo t)

> And what fascinates me, is that after all the labour invested,
> the bleeding-edge-boys say  "you must keep updated".
> I.e install the latest version and re-do all the re-configuration ?!

Please stop whining.  Fun to keep updated, you get nice new stuff.
I don't have to do any re-configuration.
If you don't want to keep updated, don't.