Re: Fetching Specific Groups

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Fetching Specific Groups
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 13:19:50 +0900

> Is it possible to make gnus only fetch mails from groups under some
> specific topic(s) at startup? When I first open gnus, I don't want it
> to keep me waiting while fetching news from RSS groups (and from some
> other groups with relatively low priority). Just want to see local
> mailboxes at startup.

Try setting the group levels:
(info "(gnus)Group Levels") <- type `C-x C-e' here.

I set the levels of the mail groups to 1 and of the nntp groups
to 2, and usually I start Gnus with `C-u 1 M-x gnus' in order to
fetch only new mails.  After starting up Gnus, `1 g' fetches only
new mails and `2 g' fetches new news and mails.  The default group
level is 3.  `M-x gnus-no-server' is similar to `C-u 2 M-x gnus'.