Re: how to disable auto-filling and other syntax-completion actions in a

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: how to disable auto-filling and other syntax-completion actions in article editing mode?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:21:09 +0200

On Sat, Oct 27 2007, Randy Yates wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> As `M-x gnus-bug RET' says: "Please describe the bug in annoying,
>> painstaking detail."
> Well I didn't consider it a bug so I didn't think I needed to make a
> bug report.

Nevertheless you can describe your problem/question/whatever in
annoying, painstaking detail.

> By syntax-completion, I mean things such as automatic indentation
> after a <RET> that occurs when in certain programming language major
> modes.

I.e. you didn't observe this in message mode?

> Since, as I stated, I don't like any editor I use to insert text
> "automagically" for me at any time, I would want this behavior disabled
> as well as auto-fill.

I have enabled it by default because overlong lines are bad netiquette
and most people like to have it on by default.  Cf. the FAQ (info
"(gnus)[5.2]"): "How to enable automatic word-wrap when composing
messages?".

>> When upgrading you should always read GNUS-NEWS aka...
>
> Unless someone told me to read it, how would I know?

As you already guessed, the behavior changed since 5.10.*, so it's
quite plausible to look under "New Features" in the manual or
something names "*-NEWS" in the distribution tar-ball.  Isn't it?

> By the way, is there a PDF of the updated manual for the gnus
> development version?

In the source distribution, do...

  cd texi; make pdf

Bye, Reiner.