Re: how to disable auto-filling and other syntax-completion actions in a

From: Randy Yates
Subject: Re: how to disable auto-filling and other syntax-completion actions in article editing mode?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:19:15 -0400

> On Sat, Oct 27 2007, Randy Yates wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>> As `M-x gnus-bug RET' says: "Please describe the bug in annoying,
>>> painstaking detail."
>> Well I didn't consider it a bug so I didn't think I needed to make a
>> bug report.
>
> Nevertheless you can describe your problem/question/whatever in
> annoying, painstaking detail.

I could, yes. However, I won't. I will describe it with "sufficient"
detail. If there is something you don't understand, ask for
clarification.

>> By syntax-completion, I mean things such as automatic indentation
>> after a <RET> that occurs when in certain programming language major
>> modes.
>
> I.e. you didn't observe this in message mode?

The truth is, I *thought* I observed some sort of "syntax-completion"
action (that wasn't just auto-filling) in message mode once, but I
accidently deleted it so quickly I didn't get a chance to see what it
was.

>> Since, as I stated, I don't like any editor I use to insert text
>> "automagically" for me at any time, I would want this behavior disabled
>> as well as auto-fill.
>
> I have enabled it by default because overlong lines are bad netiquette
> and most people like to have it on by default.  Cf. the FAQ (info
> "(gnus)[5.2]"): "How to enable automatic word-wrap when composing
> messages?".

I'm not questioning the validity of the default value, just asking
how to turn it off.

>>> When upgrading you should always read GNUS-NEWS aka...
>>
>> Unless someone told me to read it, how would I know?
>
> As you already guessed, the behavior changed since 5.10.*, so it's
> quite plausible to look under "New Features" in the manual or
> something names "*-NEWS" in the distribution tar-ball.  Isn't it?

A hell of a lot of things are plausible, if you have the time.

>> By the way, is there a PDF of the updated manual for the gnus
>> development version?
>
> In the source distribution, do...
>
>   cd texi; make pdf

A straightforward response to a simple question. Thanks.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "How's life on earth?
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  ... What is it worth?"