Re: No auto login to news

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: No auto login to news
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:57:12 -0500

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:26:35 -0600 notbob@bb.nothome.com wrote:

n> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:52:13 -0600 notbob@myvi.asdf wrote:

>> What version of Emacs and Gnus?  Do you have auth-source.el available?

n> I have 3 systems.  One, on which gnus DOES automatically login, is an
n> ancient 450 PII runnng emacs 22.2.1 and gnus 5.11.  The other two
n> boxes are P4s running emacs 22.3.1 and 23.x.x, both also with gnus
n> 5.11.  The two P4s will not auto login, no mater what I try.  I should
n> indicate I have copied the P4s gnus files directly from the PII box.
n> These include: .emacs, .authinfo, .newsrc, and .newsrd.eld.  The .gnus
n> and .gnus.el files from all 3 boxes exist, but all are empty.

>> I'll assume you want this to work without setting nntp-authinfo-file.

n> I seems to work on the PII box.  The setting defaults to ~/.authinfo.
n> On the P4 boxes...... what ho!  No such variable exists.  Could this
n> be the culprit?

n> I know how to chage the setting of a variable, but not how to initiate
n> one.  If this variable doesn't exist, how do I create it?

(setq variable value) works either way.

If, however, `C-h v auth-sources' doesn't show you something valid, you
don't have auth-source.el loaded.  Does (featurep 'auth-source) return
t?  It should be autoloaded when the auth-source-user-or-password
function is called, which happens automatically in nntp.el and many
other places *as of Emacs 23.1* and the Gnus version bundled in it.

With Emacs 22.x and earlier, you need the CVS version of Gnus in order
to have nntp.el and others autoload and use auth-source.el.  The version
of Gnus in Emacs 22.x or earlier will not use auth-source.el, Emacs
bundled Gnus before that library came about IIRC.

Ted