Re: No auto login to news

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: No auto login to news
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 17:44:33 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:00:28 +0200 Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> RR> More info : I moved back to using .authinfo as opposed to .authinfo.gpg
> and it all
> RR> works fine again. (emacs 23 and included gnus 5.13)
>
> 1) does `C-x C-f ~/.authinfo.gpg' open the file correctly?
>
> 2) what is the auth-sources variable in the working and broken cases?
>
> 3) after setting auth-source-debug to t, what is in *Messages*?  Use
> `M-x occur auth-source' to see the interesting lines.
>
> You've got to do some of the legwork on this.  It all works fine for me
> and your setup looks fine, so I don't know where to start helping you.
>
> Thanks
> Ted

I found the problem. An error on my part but still leaving one question
:

The error I mas was that I removed the nntp-authinfo-file lines from my
gnus select calls when I first tried epa with gnus and authinfo. I could
however still enter those groups, read articles and post so they were
logged into (motzarella/eternal-september which does require user
validation),

Replacing the authinfo line so

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
              '(nntp "motzarella"
                       (nntp-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
                       (nntp-address "news.eternal-september.org")
                       (nntp-port-number 119)
                       )

and then yes, everything is fine. So just to clarify, must one provide
this line (clearly I could use auth-sources here)? If so, I wonder how
I was able to read and post with outit (albeit with gnus not showing
the article count *most times*).

regards

r.