Re: spam2.el

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: spam2.el
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 21:34:07 +0300

On 2009-09-10 21:10 (+0300), Teemu Likonen wrote:

>> What parts of spam.el do you like?  How do you use it?
>
> I like that it integrates with Gnus. After I found suitable
> configuration I can mark spam easily with M-d and it will be moved to
> configured spam folder as well as learnt as spam. I also like very much
> that I can spam-autodetect also newsgroups.

I forget the "How do you use it" part. So:

I do spam-splitting: spam-detected messages go to nnml:spam (the
default).

    (setq nnmail-split-fancy
          '(| ("List-Id" ...)
              (: spam-split)
              "inbox"))

"inbox" is my default miscellaneous incoming mail group. It's defined as
ham group. If I find spam there I press M-d which - after leaving the
group - bogofilter-registers it as spam and move it to spam group. My
global ham marks are:

    (setq gnus-parameter-ham-marks-alist '((".*" ((gnus-read-mark)))))

So I guess the messages which I have really read are automatically
registered as ham when I leave "inbox". I use registry because I don't
want to bogofilter-register these message each time I read them in
"inbox". When I don't want to keep them in "inbox" anymore I expire
messages with E key which will expire them immediately and move them to
nnml:old. That group had no ham/spam configuration at all because I mean
it to be for messages which I have fully handled but want to keep them
around for a couple of months.

My concern has been that if I erroneously mark a good message as spam
(which I have done a couple of times) how can I unregister it as spam
and then register it as ham. Moving messages from nnml:spam to
nnml:inbox is easy (B m) but what happens with bogofilter is unclear.