Re: gnus registry menu problem in emacs 23.1

From: Paul Bibbings
Subject: Re: gnus registry menu problem in emacs 23.1
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:12:23 +0000

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 17:35:33 +0000 Paul Bibbings <paul.bibbings@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> PB> However, with the same article selected as in 2. (above) clicking on the
> PB> menu item:
> PB>      Gnus | Registry Mark | Important
> PB> fails with:
> PB>      "Symbol's function definition is void:
> PB>          gnus-registry-set-article-Important-mark"
>
> PB> Is anybody able to help me understand what the problem might be here?
> PB> I'm at a loss, being quite new to Emacs and Gnus (though loving it, I
> PB> have to say). The menu item seems to be hooked into the correct function
> PB> call, but it is somehow believing that it is undefined, whereas the
> PB> other tests (above) show that it clearly is, and operates properly.
>
> Try using this in gnus-sum.el around line 2640:
>
>       ("Registry Mark"
>        ["Important"     (lambda () (interactive)
> (gnus-registry-set-article-Important-mark))    t]
>        ["Not Important" (lambda () (interactive)
> (gnus-registry-remove-article-Important-mark)) t]
>        ["Personal"      (lambda () (interactive)
> (gnus-registry-set-article-Personal-mark))     t]
>        ["Not Personal"  (lambda () (interactive)
> (gnus-registry-remove-article-Personal-mark))  t]
>        ["Later"         (lambda () (interactive)
> (gnus-registry-set-article-Later-mark))        t]
>        ["Not Later"     (lambda () (interactive)
> (gnus-registry-remove-article-Later-mark))     t]
>        ["Work"          (lambda () (interactive)
> (gnus-registry-set-article-Work-mark))         t]
>        ["Not Work"      (lambda () (interactive)
> (gnus-registry-remove-article-Work-mark))      t]
>        ["To Do"         (lambda () (interactive)
> (gnus-registry-set-article-To-Do-mark))        t]
>        ["Not To Do"     (lambda () (interactive)
> (gnus-registry-remove-article-To-Do-mark))     t])
>
> instead of the version that just calls those functions.  I think it's
> happening because the function is not defined when the menu is made, but
> I don't know the exact failure mode.
>
> If the above doesn't work, I may have to use `intern'.  Does anyone have
> a better idea?  I don't want gnus-sum.el to load the registry because
> not everyone wants it, but once this menu is built it's hard to update
> it again.

Hello Ted

Thank you for your response, and apologies for not replying to you
sooner.  I can confirm that I have made the modifications that you
suggest above, re-compiled to gnus-sum.elc and reloaded everything and
it *doesn't*, unfortunately correct the problem.  I do believe that the
problem is something to do with the functions not being defined when the
menu is made, as you say.  When you say "I don't know the exact failure
mode," is there any more information that I could provide? Having said
that, I'm not immediately clear how to debug this one since the
functions in question are created "on the fly," so to speak.

Regards

Paul Bibbings