Re: rss shimbuns

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: rss shimbuns
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:09:20 +0100

Nigel Beck <me@nigelbeck.com> writes:
> I've been experimenting with the generic shimbun reader for rss and have
> it mostly working, but a few things puzzle me:
>
> 1) Changing shimbun-rss-blogs-group-url-regexp requires a complete emacs
> shutdown and restart to be recognized.  Even a gnus restart within emacs
> doesn't work.  This seems like a bit of an onerous requirement to add a
> new blog

I agree. This is due to shimbun-rss-blogs-groups being defvar'ed. Adding

(luna-define-method shimbun-groups ((shimbun shimbun-rss-blogs))
  (mapcar 'car shimbun-rss-blogs-group-url-regexp))

to sb-rss-blogs.el (after the 'defvar' of shimbun-rss-blogs-groups)
should fix this. Please let me know if this works for you.

> 2) Similar to #1 - if a name has ever been used - eg "Nigels Blog" - it
> seems to "stick" even after total reset and can never be used again.
> This means that if I give the wrong url (typo, stupidity, whatever) for
> a blog, I need to rename it the next time.

I'm guessing you only tried to 'kill' the group? The verb is misleading
here; in Gnus, 'killing' only means 'unsubscribing'. You can actually
*delete* a group from the shimbun server by using 'C-u G DEL' on the
group. Alternatively, you can delete the remaining overview/marks files
manually in ~/News/shimbun/rss-blogs/FEEDNAME and restart Gnus.

> 3) How *does* one deal with atom feeds?  I've seen the stuff here
> http://www.randomsample.de/dru5/node/8 for converting an atom feed to
> rss, but I'm not clear on how/whether that plays nicely with the
> nnshimbun rss-blogs facility.

The shimbun library uses w3m instead of mm-url for retrieving the feeds,
so this approach will not work.

If you have atom feeds with fully published content, you can use the
atom-hash shimbun. For atom feeds without full content, I think
implementing a atom-blogs shimbun based on the rss-blogs code should be
straightforward. I'll eventually do that, but I'm currently pretty busy.

-David