Re: Setting up gnus: read on local, store remote (but not on mailserver)

From: supermiri123
Subject: Re: Setting up gnus: read on local, store remote (but not on mailserver)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 23:56:34 -0800 (PST)

OK, I've *almost* got it working.  I did the following via customize:

(gnus-home-directory "/scpc:YYY@XXX.ZZ:~")
(message-directory "/scpc:YYY@XXX.ZZ:~/Mail/")
(gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote ((nnml "" (nnml-marks-is-evil t)))))

This let me read my old mail which is stored with nnml.  I had to set
nnml-marks-is-evil because otherwise tramp would encode and decode every .marks
file, which was annoying.

However, the above does not let me read the archived mail stored with nnfolder.
For these, the path is explicitely in my .newsrc.eld file.  I tried to do

(setq gnus-message-archive-method
      '(nnfolder "archive"
                 (nnfolder-directory   "/scpc:YYY@XXX.ZZ:~/Mail/archive")
                 (nnfolder-active-file "/scpc:YYY@XXX.ZZ:~/Mail/archive/active")
                 (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
                 (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)
                 (nnfolder-marks-is-evil t)))

but this had no effect (I guess it will only affect newly created archive
folders).

In fact, I'd rather have no explicit paths in .newsrc.eld at all, because I do
want to be able to use gnus by just taking the .emacs with me.

Any ideas?

Martin