Re: Mail layout and fonts

From: invalid
Subject: Re: Mail layout and fonts
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 11:35:44 +0000 (UTC)

On 2015-04-15, Elias M??rtenson <lokedhs@gmail.com> wrote:
> I disagree. Sometimes you are working in an organisation where Outlook is
> the main means of communication. If so, you need to (unfortunately) post
> messages that conforms to this style. This includes including the entire
> email chain below your message, as well as your own messages being HTML
> formatted.

That seems a little extreme. Just because other people are Windows victims
doesn't mean you have to stoop to their level.

I've been working in IT since it was called DP and before there were things
like email or HTML. Since the first sad day HTML was used in email I have
never had anybody complain about me responding to HTML email with a text
email. If I had to guess I would bet this is because the people who use HTML
emailers are too dumb to have any idea what they're doing and are also
incapable of detecting whether some piece of mail they get is in ASCII text
form or not.

Furthermore nobody has complained that I try to post inline or bottom post
although I occasionally do top-post on short replies.

> I wrote an entire package to do this; formatting the emails using
> emacs-muse, and rewriting the DOM of the email chain. In case anyone is
> interested, here's the code: https://github.com/lokedhs/gnus-outlook-style
>
> It takes a bit of an effort to get to run properly, mainly because Emacs
> does not have a HTML parser so I need to call out to an external program
> for that. I'll be happy to provide advice for anyone that wants to try it
> though.

What an enormous waste of time and possibly talent...

>> If you do HTML mails, it is throwing pearls to the
>> pigs as many people will be annoyed with it (the HTML
>> - here I mean the HTML in itself, not your particular
>> efforts),

The conclusion is correct but you have the analogy bass-ackwards.

>> So put your enthusiasm for writing better mails where
>> it belongs, in the plain text world :)

Absolutely agreed.