Imap problems after yrs of use with my config.

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Imap problems after yrs of use with my config.
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 15:09:26 -0400

My remote imap server is imap.fastmail.com.

I've been able to access that server for literally a couple of yrs with the
following code.

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnimap "hput3fm"
                      (nnimap-address "imap.fastmail.com")))

And the credential in ~/.authinfo

machine hput3fm login hput3@fastmail.fm password MY-PASSWD port imap force yes

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

On advice from fastmail I added:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnimap "hput3fm"
                      (nnimap-address "imap.fastmail.com")
                      (nnimap-server-port 993)))

They can't get past the notion that this is not being done on
some nifty windows application and so I added the port they insisted
on just in case it might help.

It did not help.

The uid and passwd has always been my login on their website.

I recently had to change my passwd at the web login

But in the course of this I found a new policy was put in place a
while ago where to use fastmail servers, you need to get something
they call an App passwd .. I guess they geared up to handle
phones/tablets and whatever.

So, I end up with 2 new passwds... one to access my fastmail acc and
this new policy ... app passwd for .. apparently for smtp server or
imap server.

OK, so I got account passwd changed about a week ago, and got the `app
passwd' on friday I think.

I've been unable to access imap.fastmail.com ever since.

I did try with both new passwds, making sure.

I've been in touch with fastmail via a trouble ticket but so far their
usefulness has been right up there with teats on a boar hog.

They've told me to use the `App passwd' now.  Of course I replied
letting them know it was not working and waiting now to hear back.

So any suggestions as to what I can do to learn more about why it is
rejected?

I don't see much in \*Messages\*

I open another emacs window and go to \*Messages\* buffer, then
in the other window, enter the server buffer, then at the `denied'
flag on the fastmail server I do a Close followed by an open
(C, then O) then a few moments, the `denied' flag reappears.

But all that appears in the \*Messages\* buffer is:

   Opening connection to imap.fastmail.com via tls...

That's it.