Re: group splitting and gnus-secondary-select-methods

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: group splitting and gnus-secondary-select-methods
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 20:01:01 -0700

Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:

> Eric, Emanuel,
>
> Thank you for the quick replies!  Perhaps I haven't been clear: when I
> said that I'm trying to setup "group mail splitting" I didn't mean
> plain mail splitting (I have been using that one since the begin of
> the century or so), I meant what the Gnus manual calls "group mail
> splitting" (there's a section on it).  Gnus has functionality to
> generate fancy splitting rules automatically for groups that contain
> 'to-list' or 'to-address' parameters.  If you have defined these
> parameters for some groups and evaluate (gnus-group-split-fancy),
> you'll get a split that can be assigned to the variable
> nnimap-split-fancy.

Oh... that's something I haven't used before, sorry.

Are you using it as directed, as an element of `nnmail-split-fancy'?
Simply calling it in your gnus file isn't going to produce the correct
results, the function needs to be a part of that variable's value to do
the right thing.

If that doesn't work, try putting (gnus-group-split-setup t) in your
gnus file? That looks like it will set up the correct hooks for
updating.

Like I said, I haven't used this before, and the above suggestions just
come from a brief perusal of gnus-mlspl.el. Apologies if you've already
gone through that file and these approaches haven't worked...

Eric